*

*

Saturday, 27 July 2013

Anglican High School 圣公会中学



1956 - Present


History
AHS was founded in 1956 by the Chinese-speaking congregations of the Anglican Diocese of Singapore. It was the only Anglican school in Singapore with Chinese as its medium of instruction. All others were English-medium schools.


Anglican High was officially opened on 9 January 1956, and led by her first principal, Rev. Huang Yang Yin.[1] Three Chinese teachers, three English teachers, and 123 male students began education at St Andrew's Secondary School. Later on, female students were admitted. 

The present "8-and-a-half mile" Upper Changi Road site was acquired, and on 15 March 1959, the new school's foundation stone was officially laid by the Archdeacon of Singapore, Ven. Dr. D. D. Chelliah. It was to be built with a new school facility with 16 classrooms, three science laboratories, an administration-cum-staff room, an assembly hall and a clock-tower. And finally on Jan 25, 1960, the new Anglican High school officially opened and blessed by the Bishop of Singapore, the Rt. Rev. H. W. Balnes.

The new school introduced a pre-university level (Pre-U 1 and 2), and was phased out in 1978 when Junior Colleges were introduced in Singapore. In 1979 AHS became a bilingual Special Assistance Plan school, and in 1995 the government awarded it Autonomous status, giving the school greater control over its affairs. In 2005 a new school building and the AHS Heritage Centre were officially opened by the Rt. Rev. John Chew, Bishop of Singapore.



Anglican High School School Song (Former)
  圣公会中学校歌 (旧版)

浩荡嵯峨气象雄 黉舍峙,狮岛中

圣洁公义道之宗 肇锡佳名号圣公

咨爾多士慎磨砻 维上帝 临汝躬

春弦夏誦莫从容 干云之木自青葱

 进德修业树风声 三教就四德成

永为基督之精兵 永为邦国之干城



Anglican High School School Song (Current)
  圣公会中学校歌 新版

浩荡圣中气象雄 如鹰展翅岛中

圣洁公义我尊崇 远近嘉名号圣公

治学立业须谦恭 师友爱乐融融

把握今天勤用功 创造锦绣之前程

进德修业树校风 向着标杆力冲

永为基督之精兵 永为邦国之忠臣



Anglican High School School Motto
  圣公会中学校训

圣 洁 公 义



Reference:


4 comments: